- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® Prime 75/25 brisket blend
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plus 2-3 tablespoons rendered beef fat, warmed to pourable liquid
- 1/3 cup Fox Bros Bar-B-Q Sauce
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon dustless black pepper (16-18 mesh)
- 6 brioche buns
- 12 thick-cut slices high quality American cheese
- 18 dill pickles
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced into 1/8-inch thick rings
- Form ground beef into six patties (8 ounces each); refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Place mayo in a small mixing bowl and whisk as you pour ¼ cup rendered beef fat into mayo to combine; set aside. In a second small bowl whisk together Bar-B-Que sauce and mustard; set aside.
- Preheat smoker to 275F. Combine salt and pepper. (We like to put the mix in a shaker to season beef headed to the smoker). Season burgers evenly on both sides. Space burgers evenly in smoker, directly on the rack. Smoke until internal temperature reaches 125F, 30-40 minutes.
- While burgers are smoking, preheat a cast iron skillet on the stovetop. Brush a little beef fat on cut sides of buns and toast in the cast iron until edges are golden; set toasted buns aside. Add a tablespoon of beef fat to the hot cast iron, add smoked patties to form a deep crust, about 3 minutes. Flip burgers to crust other side and top each with 2 slices of cheese to melt.
- Build your burgers. Spread mayo on bun bottoms, top with 3 pickles, cheeseburgers and a few onion rings. Spread bun crown with barbecue mustard sauce, top the burger and enjoy.
The trim from our briskets never goes to waste! We make the most flavorful juicy patties—and it all starts by grinding a 75 percent lean, 25 percent fat ratio from Certified Angus Beef® Prime brisket trim. We render extra brisket fat in the smoker, using this tallow to make our homemade mayo. But you could easily add your own rendered beef fat to store-bought mayo. We also make our own pickles because, well, we’re extra like that!