Tailgate ChecklistDon’t forget:
- Garbage bags
- Coolers and ice
- Cooking utensils
- Chairs and seating
- Team decorations
steak and burger ideas!
Not so typical tailgating ideas
Grab your face paint and favorite jersey, we have an idea sure to be a fan favorite: create a chili bar! Try Chef Michael’s unique recipe for brisket chili and get creative with unique toppings. Tasty, toasty and it will keep the chills away on game day!
Smoked Brisket Chili
|4 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® brisket, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups diced onions
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
|1/2 cup tomato paste |
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobe, pureed
3 cups beef stock
4 ounces chopped dark chocolate (1/2 cup)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly smoke brisket until it has a pleasant smokiness (optional – this recipe can be made without smoking). For tips on smoking, see: www.weber.com/grillout/smoking-basics.aspx
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- On the stovetop, simmer onions, garlic and butter in a Dutch oven until soft. Add chili powder and cumin; cook for two minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add tomato paste and red wine; bring to a boil.
- Add brisket, chipotle paste and stock, stirring until ingredients are combined.
- Cover, place pan in oven and cook until tender, approximately 2 hours.
- Stir in chocolate, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Put toppings in bowls next to your chili. Hungry fans love options!
- Cheddar crisps: break up your favorite cheese crackers and crumble over chili.
- Herbed mayo: Mix your favorite herbs with mayonnaise. Try cilantro or parsley for a creamy,
cool punch of flavor.
- Spicy sour cream: Add your favorite spice – like cumin or cayenne – to sour cream.
- Chopped/Sliced Onion: Brown or fry these before your tailgate for a fun and tasty twist. Who wouldn’t want an onion ring on top of their chili?
- Grilled bread and garlic butter: ‘Nuff said, sure to get those mouths watering!